Sunday, February 08, 2004

A Birthday Party
Last night, I went to the first birthday party for the nephew of Omar (he was an exchange student in Reno from Santiago last year and lived with me and my roomates for a month or two). He lives in the neighborhood of Renca, which is on the outskirts of Santiago. The party was such a coincidence because Skyler, my niece, is turning one and her birthday party was the same day, I believe. Anyways, the party was the same but different- it was a celebration with only family (partly because their family is already so big) and us foreigners (me and Adriana, the other scholar that I lived with).

His family got a kick out of our accents and also made fun of their own Spanish because they speak so rapidly and drop the "s" off of many words. We ate a white cake with caramel and peach slices and the kids had yogurt with theirs instead of ice cream. It reminded me a lot of Gasca get-togethers back in the day because the cousins all played together. It was so satisfying seeing them play together and laugh continuously, even though their only toys were the balloons for the party, a broom, and a couch outside.

Later
We went out to a club in Suecia and danced until about 3:30, which is very early in Chilean time. Before I left for Chile, I bought a guide book and read about this international neighborhood and it´s bars and club. What is so exciting is that now I am actually in the place that before were only words and an idea of a place. Now it is real.