Friday, February 20, 2004

It´s My Birthday and I´m Gonna Party Like It´s My Birthday!

Today is my 21st birthday and we started celebrating yesterday. After school, we went dowtown and ate pizza for lunch and then had a pool party at the apartment building of one of the professors (his name is Rene- Adrien is going to share an apartment with him this year, starting in March). We hung out until about 8:00 and then went home for dinner and a shower.

At about 10:30, we were picked up by Pablo, the son of Marcelo, a Rotarian that has been helping us a lot, and his friend. We went to his apartment and hung out for a while. He made me a very traditional Chilean drink- it´s called a Piscola- pisco with coke. Pisco is the liquor- it is kind of like tequila but not as bad tasting, but still just as strong.

At about 11:30, we all (myself, Adrien, Pablo and his friend Noel, Sean (a professor from school), Sebastian (the Argentinian), the three other Rotary scholars Peter, Kat, and Megan, Mike (a student), and Pedro (the boyfriend of a former student)) met up at a bar called Barabu. At midnight, they sang happy birthday to me and provided me with plenty more Piscola.


Gettin goin at Barabu

By 1, we were all ready to go out, so we went to a club.

At the club

We definitely stayed out a little late- especially for a school night. I got home at 5:30 this morning. It was very hard to get up for school at 9:30.

After school, most of the students at my language school left to go to Vina Del Mar where there is a huge festival. I opted to stay here in order to have a more tranquil day. I walked around after school and ate lunch- nothing fancy. But I bought myself a sunflower and tried to get a pedicure, but everywhere I went was busy or didn´t do pedicures. I will probably treat myself to one next week.

Now I have to go take a nap because at 8:30, Marcelo is going to pick me up and we are going to celebrate my birthday with a dinner at his house. Also, another Rotary scholar arrived yesterday and they will be there too. There will be eight of us in Santiago this year- much more than I expected.

So my 21st has gone well so far and I still have a few hours left to celebrate...