Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Gilligan´s Island

I think that Rapa Nui, as Easter Island is known to the natives, would have been a better set for Gilligan´s Island....This place is absolutely amazing!

Adrien and I are staying the hotel of a Rotarian right outside of the small town of 4000. Today we went on a tour of about half the island with a group of five other Chileans. We saw many "moai"- the big statue heads made out of volcanic rock- there are over 800 on the island, about 400 of which are still in the "factory" waiting for transport.


The moai factory

These things are so incredible...and some are HUGE. There are many theories about their transport, from levitation to rolling them on tree trunks and even talk of aliens. Adrien is a big alien believer so she is especially loving it!


15 moai

At the end of the day, after the picnic, we drove up to paradise- a white sand beach with coconut tress and crystal blue water. Absolutely breathtaking.


Anakena Beach

While I was out taking pictures, I ran into a teenage kid who was about to climb a coconut tree. I got some unreal photos of him picking the fruit and then later breaking it open. He shared some with me- it tasted like....coconut. Hahaha. But it was a much better experience than eating it out of a bag.




Last night, after an album launching party of a local band on the beach, we hung out with some locals and learned a lot about the way of life here. I´ll have to share that later because Internet here costs five million dollars an hour (not really, but it´s expensive) and I have some other business to take care of. I really wish I could share my photos right away but that will have to wait until I get back to Santiago.