Thursday, December 02, 2004

COANIQUEM

I had originally planned to return to Santiago by today, but I just couldn´t leave without meeting one of my few goals while travelling up north- visiting COANIQUEM (www.coaniquem.cl), the largest burned victim treatment centers for children in Latin America.

There are two centers in Chile- one in Santiago and the newest site in Antofogasta. Given that the directors of both locations are Rotarians, it wasn´t too hard to get in touch and get a tour of the facility. It was more a matter of convenience for Dr. Solar, the Director in Antofogasta, and when he could meet with me. Since he had time today, I decided to stay and take advantage of the opportunity.

He picked me up at my hostal this morning and we went to the year-old facility where more than 5000 burn victims are treated per year. The doctors from this center (primarily women!) as well as those in Santiago also travel throughout Latin America in order to train doctors in other countries in the area of rehabilitation of patients who have suffered severe burns.

I got to help in the process of sterilization of materials that will later be used to treat victims as well as sit in on a follow up visit for a little boy with burns on his neck.


In a consultation

The Rotary Club of Santiago, my host club, as well as the San Francisco CA club, the 2nd oldest club in the history of Rotary, support the COANIQUEM Foundation through RotaryQuem (quemado = burned). I made my contribution today by buying the Christmas cards that they sell as a fundraiser. So if you recieve a card from me in the mail, then check out the back- when you read COANIQUEM, then you will know that its proceeds have gone to support a good cause.