Monday, November 15, 2004

Just Another Manic Monday...

...I wish it were Sunday.

Oh, nostalgia...yesterday was absolutely amazing. I spent the day walking around downtown, visiting museums, talking with random people, buying cheap vegetables and going to church....Wait, what?! I went to church? Yes, mom and dad, I went. Don´t croak, ok?

It had been a good ten months since I had actually gone to mass (I am not religious-although I have been to several churches...but as a tourist) and since I had nothing better to do, I decided to drop in for a few minutes.

Besides the fact that the acoustic system was echoing like the Grand Canyon and the priest had a thick Spanish accent (the lisp from Spain was drenching his "z"s and "s"s), when I could actually make out some of what he was talking about, I liked what he was saying.

He mentioned that no matter if you are a housewife, teacher, nurse, or student, we are all responsible for the events that are taking place in the world, and it is in our daily actions that allow real changes to take place. Yeah, we know that...now we just need to practice what he preached.

He said a lot of other things too (some of which I did not agree with) but I am not going to dictate it all to you (besides, if I actually were to dictate it, it would be in Spanish and I doubt you would understand). Instead, I will just share one of his prayers- that the world economic and political leaders who will be joining together in the APEC (Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation) summit this weekend here in Santiago (yes, that does include President BUSH) will take into consideration the repercussions of their actions on all of the world`s citizens and work together to find a common ground for achieving a common good for all.

Well put. But you don´t have to be a priest to have a prayer like that.