Thursday, November 04, 2004

Foreign Friends

I´m going to introduce you to a friend of mine- her name is Deyanira and she is from Sinaloa, Mexico. She is a self-professed flirt who likes to have a good time, laugh a lot, and practice her English with me. (If you want to see what she looks like, I posted a picture a few posts ago of me, her, and my roomate at a gala- scroll down to see us.) We have suffered through Finance together, consoled each other when we failed the exam, and written notes to each other in Business Ethics. Now, we are tying to concentrate on doing our Finance project together, but at the present moment it is more enjoyable for me to write this blog and her to chat on MSN than for us to really get anything accomplished.

I write about her because she is like me- a foreign student who finds it easier in general to make friends with other foreign students. We are in the same situation- we come to a different country for a limited amount of time and it is just much easier to identify with others who find themselves in the same situation- without family, with urges to travel and get to know the things about a city that natives don´t really care about, and a lot of free time to burn (well, I lack that one, but it is very common among exchange students).

And we have definitely found it difficult to make friends with Chilean boys- because we all know what boys want (well, unless he is gay- I have a very good Chilean friend who is gay). I have had to make it VERY clear several times that I wasn´t interested in anything more than a friendship. Of course, they wanted everything but that. Some of them couldn´t take that and we haven´t talked since. But I don´t think that that has anything to do with being Chilean or foreign- more with hormones. :-)

Anyways, it is definitely more probable to actually make friends with a non-Chilean than a Chilean, even though I meet way more Chileans than foreigners. But I am not friendless- don´t worry. I actually have a Chilean friend who told me today that he is going to go to the airport with me when I leave the country. Awww- I don´t want to think about that! That will be all too soon...