Sunday, October 24, 2004

Bad Business, Good Business

I haven´t been a very good blogger in the past week. But I am still alive. Just tired. I wish I had more time in general to write about everything that I do here, but if I spent the whole day writing then I wouldn`t be doing anything. So tidbits will have to do.

Good Business
This past week we had two meetings to organize the Halloween party that we are throwing as a fundraiser for kids with metabolic disorders. The meeting place- recently opened Dublin´s Pub in Providencia. It´s a pretty kick back place but there was nothing special about it- until the waiter gave us a free pitcher of beer. I was astounded and it wasn´t because drinks were on the house- it was the point that ANYTHING was on the house. If they would have given us peanuts I would have been just as surprised because giving things free to customers is not a practiced habit here in Chile. As a matter of fact, that was the first time for everyone at the table, and that included two Chileans, born and bred in this cigarette of a country.


Before our free gift

Bad Business
My fellow Rotarian Scholar Peter had his bike stolen two days ago from the local grocery store, which should have been next to impossible considering that there were two security guards less than twenty yards from where his bike was locked up in the bike rack. Unfortunately, security guards here don´t seem to take their job too seriously. Peter has filed a complaint against the grocery store and specifically the guards but I don´t know what will come of that. The guards said that it wasn´t their job to take care of his bike because their job is to take care of the store`s property and possessions, not those of its customers. My thoughts are that the store couldn´t have those things without its customers, so why not take care of them too?