Monday, October 04, 2004

A few questions...

I was reading a book about political theory and moral philosophy (Walzer) and needed a break, so I came to check my email. In my inbox, I found a forward from a friend of mine from Mexico and thought it pertinent to share a few of the (maybe rhetorical) questions that were in it...

-Why is a person that handles your money called a 'Broker'?

-If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

-Why is it that when someone tells you that there are over a
billion stars in the universe, you believe them, but if there is
a 'wet paint' sign somewhere, you have to touch it to make sure?

- If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from
morons?

The first and last questions made me laugh because they are applicable to two of my classes (Business Ethics and International Political Ethics, respectively, but both deal especially with morality as a main issue).

But I don`t want to leave you confused, so here is a definition of morality from dictionary.com for ya (according to that site, the roots of morality are Middle English, from Old French, from Latin mrlis, from ms, mr-, custom and NOT from morons)...

morality- the quality of being in accord with standards of right or good conduct; a system of ideas of right and wrong conduct: religious morality; virtuous conduct: the doctrines or rules of moral duties, or the duties of people in their social character; ethics

"I am bold to think that morality is capable of demonstration. " --Locke