Sunday, October 10, 2004

Fall Back, Spring Forward

This morning at 10 I had a Reiki class (originating from Japan, Reiki deals with energy, chakras, and healing) in the south of Santiago. I wasn´t in a rush because I knew that it would really start at about 10:15 or 10:30, so I took my time drinking my tea and eating my oatmeal. When I left my apartment, my cell phone said it was about 10 til 10- I was right on time since it was going to take me about 25 minutes to arrive.

When I got to the metro I noticed that the clock in the station said 11. I was a bit confused so I checked my cellphone again and it assured me that it was only 10. But when I reached my final destination, the clock in that station read 11:21. I thought I was going crazy so I asked someone what time it was- they said 10:20.

I shrugged it off, figuring that something was up with the clocks in the metro and walked quickly to class. Upon arrival, they had to catch me up to speed on some of the history of Reiki because I had missed a bit of the introduction- but I wasn´t too late...

Not until the end of class when some asked what time it was and I said 3:45 at the same time as someone else said 4:45 was I told what was going on. Apparently, last night the time changed and everyone was supposed to push their clocks forward. And everyone did....except for me and the guy in the metro. Oops. :-) But then that meant that the class started REALLY late- at 11:15 instead of 10:00 like it was supposed to! But I guess that is kind of normal because even when the hour isn´t changing, the Latin American clocks always run late anyways...