Monday, November 01, 2004

LONG Weekend

I am dead tired. I think that I have slept about ten hours in the past three days. If I could keep my eyes open, I would write more but I am going to summarize quickly so I can go home and go to sleep.

Friday- Halloween party and fundraiser for children with metabolic disorders. It was fun but since Chileans don´t like to dress up the foreigners were the only ones with costumes. I don´t know how much money we made. Not too much is my bet because we didn´t have that great of a turnout. A lot of people promised to come and then 1/3 of them actually showed up- I think we sold like 60 tickets or something. Oh well- some is better than none.


Me showing off the Rotary symbol on cook Ivan`s apron (that was his costume)

Saturday- Adrien and I tried to go to help paint a school but couldn´t find it after searching for half an hour without the ability to get into contact with the other volunteers. So we went to her friends house and helped him celebrate his birthday. It was fun but I went to sleep when the sun was coming up and had to wake up early.


Me with the really good chocolate cake that I almost dropped, Felipe, and Felipe`s friend Francisco

Sunday- Woke up at about ten and took an hour bus ride in a big U because there doesn´t exist a straight route from were I was coming from in order to go to ERBOPECH, the Rotaract conference with people from Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru, and Chile. It was great. I met so many people and learned a lot about Rotaract. When I go back to Reno, I am hoping to found a club.

After some cultural presentations from visitng Rotaract club members, I chatted with the president of my Rotary club and the district governor who came to support our conference. While talking with then, I learned that the President of Rotary International is coming to Chile in November and I am going to translate a project for them in order to propose a Rotary International Week of the Child (it currently only exists in Chile). If I am lucky, I might be able to go down south for a day or two of the conference. And its location is close to where the APEC conference and George Bush will be during the same weekend...so I might have to jump over there too in order to peacefully protest. I think I should make a huge sign with the Rotary Four-Way Test (Is it the truth? Is it fair to all concerned? Will it build goodwill and better friendships? Will it be beneficial to all concerned?) and sit outside of the conference....

Ok, that was a tangent...anyways, of course last night was a long one- we didn´t even eat dinner until midnight and I definitely went to sleep after the sun had risen only to be woken up at 9:30 to sit around and wait ALL day. But whatever. We sang and bonded and all that fun stuff. I had a good time.


Going crazy Sunday morning with fellow Rotaracters Isaac and Mario

Now it is time to sleep, although I should probably do some homework. I have a HUGE finance project, a 40 minute presentation to do in my internatioanl political ethics class on an international organization or NGO (hm...funny thing- Rotary fits the bill so that will be my topic), as well as an art project, and a case study in business ethics. Whew. When I write it all down it is kind of scary. And I have a week and a half to do it all. Maybe a power nap will have to do...