Sunday, February 29, 2004

The Move

Yesterday, I helped Adrien move into her apartment. She is living downtown with one of the profesors from Bridge-Linguatec. They will be sharing an apartment in the same building that he was already living in, but they have a place with two bedrooms and two bathrooms.

We moved her stuff from Las Condes, an area of Santiago, to the centro and we used a Radio Taxi, which is different than a normal taxi that you pick up on the street because you call for them to arrive. We had no idea how much it was going to cost since we were picked up in a Towncar and the ride took about half an hour. In a normal taxi, this would be anywhere from 15,0000- 25,000 pesos, which converts into about $25-$43. We were very surprised when it only cost 6,000. I will definitely use a Radio Taxi when I move.

When Will I Move?

That´s a good question that I don´t have the answer to yet. My friend Omar backed out of moving into an apartment with me, so I have to look around some more. I don´t want to live by myself because I want to be around Spanish speakers as much as possible, although since I really don´t have any Chilean friends, that might easier said than done. On Tueday, I have an orientation on campus (which has been closed for the past three months for summer vacation) and I have heard of a board that people post up info about apartments as well as students looking for roomates. Hopefully I will know by the end of the week and can move somewhere next weekend.