Wednesday, March 03, 2004

School and Ambiguities

So I went to my orientation yesterday and was given a copy of the schedule of classes. They offer a minor that I am very interested here- it is called "Encuentro de Culturas" but "Cultural Crossroads" is probably an ok translation. Two classes that it requires are Intercultural Development as well as Chilean Anthropology (neither of which are even offered this semester). The other three classes I picked out of a group that are offered are Intercultural Health, Public Politics and Indeginous Legislation (not offered this semester either), and Confronting Poverty.

Today was supposed to be the first day of classes, so I went to the Itercultural Health class, but no one was there. I wasn´t sure what was up with that, so I decided to go to the office for international students. ´But it wasn´t on the same campus- it is in the Casa Central which is in the middle of the city. So went to the Casa and of course, by the time I arrived, the office was closed for lunch- for two hours!

Now I am sitting in a computer lab in the Casa because I have nothing else do do. I don´t want to go back to the other campus for the other class that I have today because I don´t want no one the be there again. I guess I will just wait here until the office opens again.

But it is all a little ambiguous- we don´t actually have to register for classes until the end of the month, but we are supposed to go to the classes to make sure that we like them. Which is cool, but people need to actually be there in order for me to decide.

A Place to Live-
I am still looking.

My Rotary Host Counselor-
I still don´t have one.

Chilean Friends-
None of them either. Hopefully that will change once classes start because I don´t want to be a loner forever. Ok, I am really not a loner now because I have met many Chileans and I am always with my family at night time. I guess a cell phone would probably help me too. I think that is next on my list of things to do.