Friday, December 10, 2004

Paradise Lost and Found

Sometimes I hate getting online. Why? Because I prefer to not worry and pretend that the world is as happy as where I am at.

Right now I´m in the middle of nowhere (practially) yet when I get online I learn that some soldier in another part of the world admits to killing a wounded soldier from the opposition. And it makes me sad. (Mind you- I didn´t read the entire story... not that it would have been the "truth" anyways given the half ass means of media communication the the United States receieves anyways...)


Rapa Nui Christmas cheer in a restaurant

But despite the helplesness that I feel...I´m here, secluded from the norm, from most worries, and from most stressful pressures. Last night I went to the Rapa Nui Rotary meeting and I think that it was the best meeting that I have ever been to during my Rotary studies abroad... The members were so real and natural that it seemes almost unreal. My ideal service club meeting...almost. Although the treasurer did walk out because of an internal conflict (it seems), but besides that the club seems very united. Well, I guess that in a communty of 4000 people it is hard not to be, right? (Wrong, as I will explain later.)


Presentation of Rotary symbol

Anyways, the meeting ended well and today I got sunburned on the beach before a tour of the island by the island´s judge. Now I am going to the going away party of a local islander...ironic, huh? In two days I will be going away from the island myself and in one month I will be having my own party before returning to the North American continent...so much to do in so little time.

Maybe tomorrow I will have enough time to tell you about the local men wooing the foreign travellers and getting them to stay here and forget the rest of the world.

I hope I make it out of here alive....