Monday, March 08, 2004

I Am Not Making This Up- This Really Happened

Last night, Aimee, one of the Rotary Scholars, had all of us Rotary scholars over to her apartment for the evening. She lives in a very nice apartment on a street called Antonio Bellet in an area called Providencia- it is about three blocks from the Metro and close to many restaraunts and pubs, a grocery store, and a fruit and vegetable market.


Us at Aimee's VDay party

Well on my way there, I got a little lost (as usual) because I turned off of the Alameda (the main street in Santiago) one street too early. I walked about fifty meters down the street and was looking around to see if I recognized anything when a little old lady asked me if I was heading in the direction to the end of the street. I told her that I was actually looking for a different street but I was going in that direction. She asked for help with her groceries (she had two bags) and of course, I said yes.

So I walked her about four or five blocks to another little side street where she said she lived. During the walk, she told me that she had just moved there two days before and she was just getting situated- and she wanted to rent out a room. Can you believe it?

So to make a long story short, I spent about forty minutes talking to this lady in her apartment (which is tiny but I loved it the moment I saw it because it has colorful walls) and I am going to live with her. I will move in this Saturday.

Lesson Learned-
The next time you see a little old lady who needs help with her groceries- help her. She may be able to help you too.