Friday, July 02, 2004

Running in Circles

I returned to the medical center on campus today in order to make an appointment for the lung x-ray that the (cute) doctor ordered and it definitely was not as easy as it sounds. Well, doing anything productive down here is never really easy, let me tell you... Things are always much more complicated then they need to be.

I first went to the student medical center and the girl told me I had to go to upstairs to make the appointment. So I went upstairs but the nurse told me I needed to make the appointment in the University Hall since I am a student. So I went to the University Hall, and they told me no, that I needed to go to the Student Center. So I went BACK and the girl told me that upstairs in Radiology, not the general desk, was where I needed to go to get the codes for the order before actually making the appointment. So I went to Radiology and they gave me the codes but told me I had to go to the University Hall in order to make an appointment with the doctor.

So I went to the Hall and the chick told me I needed to go to the student medical center to make the appointment. So I went back to the place that I first went to and the girl told me, again, that they appointment needed to be made in Radiology.

I went to Radiology (again) and the girl told me that since I had the code already, I didn´t even need an appointment. Ummm, ok, don´t you think she could have told me that the first time around? But things like this always seem to be a big production here- everything is very bureaucratic (bureaucracy is another entire entry- I will get to that another day). Half of the time, I think that people do things like that just to mess with people, but then I realize that not all people follow the same logic... Anyways, apparently I can go in anytime between 8-1 and 2-6 from Monday through Friday.

Just to make sure, I went back to the student center to find out about when the doctor would be able to see me. She said that after taking the x-ray, I have to get another appointment with the doctor, but a different one because they one who saw me last week won´t be seeing anyone next week. Great, so not only did I waste an hour walking back and forth across campus for nothing, but I don´t even get to see the cute doctor again...