Monday, January 17, 2005

Closing Time

The most important conclusion I have reached during my year long personal and academic studies is that----

It is ok to be a product of my culture...but only with constant conscientious reflection.

Throughout the year, I found it difficult to tell people that I am American because of the problems and hostility that this often carries. No one was afraid to be blunt and everyone has an strong opinion about what the US government does (mind you, the majority of what they say is not very positive). Usually they have even more to say about our government than their own.

I also struggled with the materialism and consumerism that I have grown up in, yet had never before noticed. I often experienced guilt for having had, in one year, the opportunity to travel and experience more of Chile than most Chileans will ever experience in their life. It confused me to feel wrong, but now I have realized that it isn't wrong- it just is. I have been given this chance for a reason.

The opportunities that I have been granted stem from my past opportunities and experiences and negating or feeling guilty for what I am given or what I have earned is not really the appropriate reaction. What I have found is that more than anything, I should take into consideration where I come from and incorporate what I am learning from everything that I do, see, and experience and to not take anything for granted. I´m not Ghandi, and at this point in my life I don´t see it necessary to give up all pleasures in life. But in the end, it is going to be me that climbs that mountain and all I have to rely on is my previous experience (my own two legs) and some guidance from others who have walked a similar path before.

I had a great year and now it is officially ending- I'm in Atlanta, Georgia right now waiting for my connecting flight to Cali where I will be greeted by several members of my family- I hope they don't forget to pick me up.

So what am I looking forward to? Finding a job where I can use my Spanish, studying (again), looking at life from a different point of view than before, and following the words of my friend Brigt-

Life is a sequence of surprises....so just enjoy. :-)