Friday, January 07, 2005

Penguins and Tierra del Fuego

Yesterday I visited the penguins of southern Chile. Limping around in the cold weather sucked until I saw the first penguin... then I forgot the pain completely. It was the best trip to the zoo- only I wasn`t at the zoo. The 500 wild penguins on the coast of southern Chile were very self-absorbed and hardly noticed us tourists.

Today, I took a ten minute flight in a 9-passenger plane over the Straights of Magellan to Tierra del Fuego. Wait- what?!? No. Yes. Hahahaha. Seriously. I really did. Am I sure? Yes. I think. Well, I have the picture to prove it.

I met with the President of the Rotary club in Porvenir (literally translated as "what lies ahead" or "what the future holds") in the only Chilean town on the island. We had coffee and then I had to leave on the boat to return to the continent. I was in Tierra del Fuego for three hours.