Friday, May 07, 2004

Meetings That Don`t Meet

This morning, I was supposed to meet my friend Claudio at his office (read previous blog) at 10. He was late, of course, like all Chileans always are, but he had a good excuse- he is a lawyer and he was in court, so he couldn´t just get up and leave. It was good seeing him- and although it was suprising how this meeting came about, for some reason it doesn´t really suprise me. I knew I was going to end up running into him. My friend Leah says "It´s fate! You have to marry him now!" I don´t know about that, but my horoscope today says-

"You may bump into an old friend who'll suddenly look a lot more like a potential sweetheart. Even if you're both available, you should take it slow. Changing speeds will be a big adjustment for you both."

Ha ha. Wouldn´t that be funny?

Next meeting- I was supposed to meet with the coordinators of the English program that I am volunteering for. Our meeting was scheduled for 12 and all of the volunteers were supposed to be present. Well, when Leah and I were on the bus on our way to the meeting, at about 11:40, she received a phone call and guess what? Meeting canceled. Yeah, it might have been nice to know a little bit sooner. I just checked my email right now and I received an email from them notifying me that there would not be a meeting at 11:30-
I love the advance notice.

Speaking of advance notice- Leah was supposed to meet with the landlord of her new apartment today at 4:30. We got there on the dot, even though we knew that he would be late. After waiting about 40 minutes, we called his office and his secretary apologized and said that she had forgotten to call us to tell us that he wasn´t going to be there. Typical. I have started to get used to it by about now.

Last "meeting" of the night- last weekend I was invited to go to the "young club´s" meeting tonight, but declined the offer because I thought I wasn´t going to have much to do or say, since they are doing last minute preparations for the BINGO game. But today, I called my friend Juan Pablo and said that I wanted to go in order to buy some more tickets for my friends, the Castillo family. He then proceeded to uninvite me to the meeting because he said that they were going to fight with the president of the club tonight, he didn´t want me to be uncomfortable.

Well, so at least he canceled in my interest. And I am not that upset, because I think Adrien and I are going to go to a wine tasting event tonight. What a typical day in Chile- try to go to meetings, have almost all of them canceled, and end the day with wine. What a good start to a weekend...