Saturday, July 10, 2004

W-O-W is how you spell gay club

I don´t know what other word to use to express or describe last night other than...WOW. The reason why is because I went with a Chilean friend of mine to a gay club in Bellavista, one of the ¨party neighborhoods¨ and I think it was probably the most interesting night I have had since arriving in Chile. Since I had never been to a gay club before so I had no idea what to expect- boy, was I in for a treat.

At the door, we were greeted at the door by a drag queen with a huge feather hed-dress, crazy sparkle make-up, large black platform boots, and a small g-string (how he (she?) fit into it is beyond me...). And the fun was just beginning....

The place was small and dark, but the strategic placement of mirrors made it seem huge and absolutely filled with...men, of course. (Well, mainly young men in their early twenties, but as the night went on, the average age jumped up significantly I would say.) And most of them were good looking and dressed to the T (most gay men have great fashion sense). If I hadn´t known that I was walking into a gay club, it would have been heaven for me- a ton of good looking men, who know how to dress and dance, with a stage show with male dancers (with THE HOTTEST bodies) wearing next to nothing...but then I realized that I was actually in my friend´s heaven, and not mine.....sigh.

We only stayed for a few hours because I was tired, but while I was there I definitely had a good time. Myself and the other five women in the club were upfront and center with the best view of the dancers (who cares if they weren´t dancing to impress us? they were still beautiful to look at). It´s a good thing that I don´t have problems with homosexuality or seeing two guys kissing, because I would´ve had to run out as soon as I walked in.

I had a great time dancing because I had no inhibitions and I wasn´t worried about impressing anyone, since I didn´t have a chance with any of them anyways. All in all, I am convinced that this club plays the best music out of all of the clubs that I have ever been to in Santiago, so I will probably go back with my friend some other time. It was a good change of place- I think that is the only place in Santiago in which the men don´t stare at the women, mentally undress them, and then thank them for the opportunity to do so...