Sunday, July 04, 2004

What? No Fireworks?

Today is the 4th of July. To you, that probably means a BBQ, time with the family, maybe going to the beach, and most likely seeing fireworks. In Santiago, it was just another Sunday, which means that everything but the malls and movie theaters are closed, and the lack of space means that our "BBQ" was indoors and on the stove of my friend Natalia´s apartment.

Hey- we tried, ok? We had hamburgers and hot dogs, Pepsi, and Lays Potato chips and a Pilsbury cake for dessert. Not bad for being at the end of the map... It is a lot easier than you think to find these products outside of the US- they are just a little more expensive than national brands.

But really, our "4th of July BBQ" was just a good reason to get all of us (six) Rotary Scholars together to try and motivate each other to get more involved with respective clubs and activities. They all liked my new project (I started it about a week ago and my living room is FULL of stuff) of collecting all of the things that exchange students in Santiago are leaving behind as they go back home, sorting, bagging, and bringing it to centers in Santiago that will distribute it to people who are in need. I think next semester I will be able to get a lot more support and stuff, so that is exciting.

After the meeting was adjourned, we went to see Shrek 2. Yes, it is in theaters still here. But I really didn´t need to go to the theater to see it since practically everyone and their mom here already has it on DVD or on their computer. Piracy runs rampant... But I went anyways because I didn´t have anything better to do.

What a bummer- I just realized that I had three little fireworks that were given to me and I forgot about them today. Looks like I might have to save them until New Year´s Eve to set them off, because right now, I have about ten minutes until it is July 5th, and that just wouldn´t be right...