Sunday, May 16, 2004

Life As I See It

Despite the disgusting layer of smog that prevents a person from seeing more than five hundred meters ahead of oneself, the sun is shining in my world. I am sooo much happier in my new place than where I was at before. I didn't complain too much in this blog so that people wouldn't worry too much, but I was not in the best spot while living with my Señora. Her negativity and depression was starting to rub off on me and I had to get out of there.

Speaking of Getting Out

Adrien is now living with me and will stay until she can find a place for herself. Now she is trying to get back her deposit money as well as some other money that Reneé, her old roomate owes her. But he is trying to avoid talking to her. And now is he complaining about how little money he has and how many bills he has to pay. Basically, he doesn´t want to giver her money back. However, I think he should have thought of that before telling her that she needed to find herself a new place (in other words- before kicking her out).

Although these roomate problems stem from various causes (one of them being me-or so says her old roomate Rene...we got in a fight one day the he now cites as "the last straw"). But the main problem I think is that he and Adrien didn't really know each other before deciding to share an apartment together. As a matter of fact, they had barely met and had only spoken a select number of times.

Plus, he is a Chilean bachelor who is very set in his ways and doesn't know how to communicate (ie- he isn't interested in listening, only in being listened to and believes that his point of view is the correct view; he also doesn't give any respect and speaks down to her and anyone else who doesn't share his thoughts, besides the fact that he is arrogant and trash talks the American culture although he dates an American and teaches American English at Bridge-Linguatec where we had our language lessons).

Language and Communication

So Reneé speaks (nearly) perfect English. But it seems to me that the fact that he does speak English so well may also be a factor in the problems that they have had. Language skills decieve- the ability to speak a language doesn't necessarily mean that the person is able to communicate well, nor does it mean that they can be trusted.

First of all, if he hadn't spoken English so well, there would have been no way that Adrien would have lived with him in the first place. He would have been just any other Chilean- an unknown and therefore questionable. But because he has such a good handle on the language, I think it was a lot easier for Adrien to trust him- even though he had in no way earned her trust.

Lesson Learned- When you are in a foreign country and meet some who speaks your native language, but is not from your country and doesn´t share your cultural background, problems may arise. Don´t assume that a common language is a good enough reason to let your guard down. Because we all know what happens when we assume- it creates an ass out of u and me.